Map of the Trip
from Elko NV to Yacolt WA
We don't know
the exact route of this trip, but this is my re-creation of it. Travel is
shown in different colors, depending on the year: Pink
is 1892, Blue is 1893 and Green
- Mound Valley, Nevada, about 50 miles southwest of Elko, start of
- Elko, where the Robersons (JM's sister) lived.
- Southern Idaho, where JM was injured and where the lava bed was.
- About where the empty valley was.
- Jordan Valley, OR, where the boys saw the owls.
- The Blue Mountains (outlined in teal.) which Bill said he crossed
- Baker, OR, where the boys saw the cowboy on the bucking horse.
- Echo, OR, Umitilla, OR, and the Columbia River crossing.
- Lewiston, ID. fall and winter of 1892-3.
- Colville, WA, original goal and winter of 1893-4.
- Lewiston, spring and early summer of 1894.
- The Dalles, the north end of JM's freighting project.
- Cascade Falls (or Locks), family camp while JM was operating the
- Yacolt, Washington